Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Have I Lost My Ever Lovin' Mind?

Well, I did it. Or I should say "we" did it. Hubby and I signed up for a half marathon training program tonight. I'm a 5K veteran, that is if a handfull of not-so-speedy 5K's makes one a veteran. But a half marathon is a whole 'nother animal. As in four times as long as a 5K. But it is a six month training program that starts from about where I am now, so that makes me feel that it is possible.

Tonight was orientation, and I had a chance to talk to the coaches. I talked to them about testing and my hope that I would not hold the group back when I stoped to test. I'm OK with NOT testing for the 3 and 4 milers that I do now, but with the mileage ramp-up, I'm not sure how the old bod will react. Should be interesting.

I'm VERY happy that hubby also signed up. At orientation he ran into (well not literally...there was no running, just talk) a friend he used to work with. They will be in the same training group. He was on the fence about signing up, so this was really nice. The CEO/Owner of the company I resigned from a month ago is also planning to participate, so I look forward to catching up with him without the pressures of work intervening. We ran together once, and seemed pretty well matched. But I have the feeling he may be faster than me. I guess we'll see.

As far as a name for my new pump, I'm still undecided. My first pump was named Wilbur...partly for Charlotte's web, and partly for a wonderful cat that graced our lives for many years. I'm seriously considering Chrissy, in honor of one my favorite dogs who is no longer with us. She was so sweet and affectionate, but also moody, so I'm a little hesitant to name a pump after a moody dog. But Chrissy just has a nice ring to it, and despite her moods, she loved us in her doggy way.

I've really been enjoying my sabbatical, and catching up on yard work. I am really enjoying using my body as opposed to my brain. Know that sounds silly, but after 20 years in accounting/finance/mgmt, maybe it's understandable. After doing yard work, I can see a difference. After many meetings I often could not.

That's about it. I thought I would blog more after my "retirement", but I've pretty much avoided anything requiring thought lately. Maybe after I get the yard in shape..... I still enjoy reading yours though, so if you're so inclined, keep up the good work fellow bloggers :)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh that is so awesome! I ran two half-marathons last year and hope to run another in 2008 (once I get my back stuff figured out). Completing a half marathon was awesome and an experience I will always remember well, and one I hope to duplicate at least a few more times in my life! I can’t wait to read about how you do!