Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Hay is in the Barn

This Sunday I'll be attempting my first triathlon. It's a relatively short one, with a 300 meter swim, a 12 mile bike ride, and a 3.1 mile run. This will be a fairly light workout week leading up to it, since the training I have already done is what matters physically. It's been a bumpy ride during the 12 week training program, with a 2 week cold/flu thing in weeks 4 and 5, being a few lbs heavier than I'd like to be, and now a tear in my right arch. As of today, I think I'm reasonably ready to complete it, though perhaps not as well as I would have hoped initially.

The training has consisted mainly of doing either a swim, bike, or run 5 or 6 days a week. On some days, I've put together biking and swimming, and on a few others, biking and running. But Sunday will be my first time putting all 3 together. Although that's fairly normal in preparing for a first triathlon, it leaves me with some lingering questions as far as BG management. I'm hoping my CGM will be in synch come Sunday so I don't have to test in the middle of the bike ride, but it may come down to that. I've had a couple of episodes lately where the CGM trend totally misled me. The swim is so short that testing after that in T1 won't do much good, and after the bike ride in T2 will be too late for any carbs I take in to do much good. I'll just have to play the CGM game by ear and hope for the best.

So I'm reminding myself this week that: "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." (Prov 19:21). I've trained with a good friend who will be racing that day too, and our friendship is stronger and deeper as a result. My awesome husband will be getting up a 0-dark-thirty with me so he can support me and hand my pump back to me after the swim. God willing, all will go the way I would like it to, but if not, it will still be alright, and there is purpose in that too.

2 comments:

Minnesota Nice said...

Oh yeah! You go girl!

As I look at it, no effort is ever wasted.

Anne Findlay said...

Good luck! Have fun! I hope all goes well for you.