Monday, December 15, 2008

To reschecule or not to reschedule....

....that is the question.

I had to cancel my endoc appt. 2 wks ago due to a stomach bug, and have yet to reschedule it. I guess there are two components to my reluctance. First, I have the feeling my A1C will not be stellar. I'm always thinking that though, and am usually pleasantly surprised with the results. So the bigger factor is that I still feel like I don't get much help from my endoc other than ensuring a signature on those prescriptions.

When I mentioned to a friend at church who is a nurse that I had to cancel my endoc appt and mammogram last week, she got this worried look on her face and said something like "Oh, wow, that's not good, will you be OK until you can get in to see your endoc?". A nice well-meaning question, but pretty far off target. I replied, "I've been at this a long time, and really the endoc doesn't tell me much I don't already know." Probably sounded arrogant, but it's true.

Last time, I asked him for help in avoiding lows while running. He said I could fax him some numbers and handed me a worksheet with blanks for only before and after meals, no space for a pump basal rate, etc. I asked if I could send him a spreadsheet instead that included room for more testing, carb intake, etc. surrounding exercise, and he said they preferred all patients to use their (totally inadequate) form. This really should not upset me that much since I have a history of not doing a very good job of logging anyway. But it was just a sign of being alone in managing my diabetes, and has rattled around in my brain since then. Were it not for this wonderful online community, I would feel very alone with it indeed.

On the plus side, he did suggest I look into CGM's, and would likely be willing to help me get one. He was also very helpful when I had a pump malfunction that required me going back to shots for a little while. I'm probably looking for too much in a doctor, and this one isn't bad. So I guess I just need to book that appointment. Maybe I'll call...tomorrow.

I'm also curious...how many of you feel that you genuinely get help with your specific issues from your endoc/diabetes team? Am I expecting too much?

7 comments:

Anne Findlay said...

I'd suggest attending one of the Diabetes Training Camps if you can... It was the first time in memory that I was surrounded by people who actually really understood type 1 and exercise as well as possible. There are a lot of unanswered questions still, but the staff there have the experience and knowledge to give you that help that you've been looking for. That was my experience. My attitude towards most doctor visits is the same as yours...

It sounds like you might want to find someone who understands a bit better the issues facing a type 1. If I see an endo and he/she says, "wow your morning BG was high there, let's change your basal rates," I will probably not listen to another word...

-Anne

Anne Findlay said...

I should add, though, that once you find the right endo, in my experience, it can be tremendously helpful... There are too few endo's to start with, which makes it a tough search.

If your endocrinologist is willing to help you get a CGM, I would say that it's worth paying a visit.

meanderings said...

I spoke with my PCP last week about dropping the endo visits. There are only two endos (she, the PCP doesn't want me to see the other one)nearby, if I change it will mean traveling an hour or more. But, my PCP is so far, perfectly capable of keeping an eye on the diabetes and is actually better at discussing issues with me and working with me to find solutions. I'm still not sure...

Scott K. Johnson said...

I would SO love to do the DTC (Diabetes Training Camps)!

I think the main thing my endo helps with is lab orders/results and prescriptions.

Anonymous said...

Thought I might be expecting too much, thanks! I would love to go to the Diabetes Training Camp....seems like that really fills a void. Looked into going to the last one, but the price and timing were not right for me. Will keep an eye out for the next one though.

Colleen, I hear you...I think a good GP could handle most of it.

Drea said...

Hi! I followed the link to your blog! Great posts!

Until recently, my endo was no help. I received most of my help from my diabetes nurse and my local pump rep (who is a pump user......)

I was reassigned to a new endo, who actually has good suggestions. I came out of the appointment feeling empowered, rather then shot down!

Drea

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Dismiss Laggin Downloads With NZB Files You Can Quickly Search High Quality Movies, Console Games, MP3 Singles, Software & Download Them @ Fast Rates

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]NZB[/B][/URL]